Pages

Saturday 1 April 2017

Hillsborough Parkrun April 2017 Pacing event

A Parkrun does not normally warrant an update of its own being a regular occurrence, but this was a pacing event so it was a bit different. My plan was to follow the 26 minute pacer, my best for the course having been 26:44 the previous weekend and I prepared as I all too often prepare for a Parkrun by going to the pub, on this occasion popping in to support The Bar Stewards.  What didn't help was waking up at 4am and being unable to get back to sleep.

On the morning of the event I walked to the park and met up with Becky who was the pacer for 38 minutes and Liz who was planning on trying to stay with the 27 minute pacer.  Liz has been by my side since I started trying to run seriously and helped me pace my first Parkrun, I am very grateful to the support she has given me in getting in to this running thing, and hopefully we'll be hitting some longer peak trails together in the coming months.

After the customary race briefing came the customary start, as over 300 people all try and get away at the same time and find their space.  We were caught up in traffic on the run to the first corner and our pacers were disappearing, so it was time for a bit of off road overtaking to get with the bunch.  I tracked my pacer down and found myself keeping going, I was happy with this pace of around 5:00/km so I carried on past them, settling in to a comfortable rhythm and slogging up the hills.  I was surprised to find myself overtaking the 25min pacer at one point as well, but I just couldn't sustain the effort and they came back past me. It was hard going, but the pacing event really made me dig in and push.

Finally I was on lap three and giving it all I had left to get to the finish line (which really wasn't very much).  Over line and my watch said 25:33, I had smashed my PB from the previous week of 26:44. Official timing later put it at 25:29, I was a little late to stop the timer as I was exhausted.  After queuing for barcode scanning, jellybean scoffing and of course ringing the PB bell I walked back to encourage Liz home, but couldn't find her so walked up to the finish to find she was so close behind me she must have already been in the queue by the time I was scanned, having finished in a brilliant new PB of 26:34.

  Together we waited for Becky to finish who was worried she had gone too fast, but 37:12 on a 38min pacer is fine and she was closer than some of the others.  Then (of course) it was off to The Pie Parlour where I pushed the boat out and went for a Hearty Full rather than a light Full.  The rest of the day was very sedate as the early morning combined with beer the previous night caught up with me and combined with the effort of the Parkrun - and I had to save myself for the next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment