Pages

Tuesday 4 April 2017

Peak District Trail Run Spring Series 2 - Bradfield - 5.5k

I wasn't going to be free on the weekend of April 1st but plans changed and I found myself available.  The first thing I did? Scan Si Entries Event List for a running event. I spotted Trail Run Series #2 and when I saw it was in Bradfield my mind was pretty much made up - it's less than 5 miles from my house and highly likely that at some point I will run there from my house, especially given the presence of the Old Horns Inn at High Bradfield.  It's also just over the Peak District boundary, reminding myself I live so close to such a beautiful place.

There was a choice of a routes - a 14k run around three reservoirs (Agden, Dale Dike and Damflask) or the 5.5k which went around Damflask on the last part of the 14k route.  I was in two minds about which to do as the 14k was really appealing but two things swung it for me - none of my usual running friends were free to join me for it and Hillsborough Parkrun were having a pacing event the day before, so I signed up for the 5.5k in the end. This race had a compulsory kit list which included the following:
  • Running shoes that in the organiser’s opinion are fully suitable for the type of off-road terrain to be encountered (NB no flat soled shoes allowed).
  • Waterproof jacket
  • Windproof leg cover
  • Other waterproof & warm body cover appropriate for the prevailing weather conditions.
  • Sufficient coins for telephone calls or a mobile phone.
This meant a little bit of shopping, and I am planning an update on kit at some point in the future to cover this so I shall not go in to great detail here.  The weekend of the race drew near and I was getting excited both by this and the Hillsborough Parkrun pacing event which went really well (I finished in 25:29 with an average pace of 5:05/km) and gave me the confidence I needed; The race has timing awards which for men were Gold sub 0:26 Silver 0:26 – 0:30 Bronze 0:30+. Gold was not within reach of me as it would need a pace of 4:44/km but I could get in the Silver bracket as long as I was under 5:27/km


The day dawned clear and dry with some breaks in the cloud, and I set off for Bradfield with plenty of time as I wanted to get parked. I registered and due to the fine weather the kit list was relaxed to little more than a windproof top, but I decided to still run with my bag as practice for some longer trail runs I plan on doing. I had time to kill before my start time so I did some warm up laps of the cricket pitch (hey, I am taking this seriously) before walking over to the start, scoping the course a little while chatting with some fellow runners.  Competitors on the 14k were already coming past us at this point, having started earlier with the idea that the finishes were vaguely synchronised.  We had the race briefing and an introduction to the sports dibber system being used for timing here, and then we were started one at a time. Somehow I ended up at the front of the line...

Dibber in the box, watch started, and off I go, just as another 14k runner came round the corner. I decided to go for a fast start so that I had something in the bank should I flag later, and soon overtook a slightly surprised looking man who was already 2/3s of the way in to his run.  First km down in 4:47 - fantastic, but I worry I am going slightly too fast now and back off to a 5:00 for the second km.  By this point the dam wall which marks the end of the reservoir and the turning back point was well in site.  I was slowing by this point, probably having cooked it a little in my pelt down the western bank of the reservoir but I was having fun.  

The eastern bank wasn't as smooth and free flowing as the western bank, being more twisty and undulating. This slowed me a little more, so having the fast start behind me was looking good as it kept my overall pace on target.  As I pushed on I saw Chris Meads out taking the official photos for the event which spurred me on to push harder again - I even managed a "Thank You" as I passed him - and the effort clearly paid off as he caught this shot of me which for 4km in I think is looking rather good.


The end was in sight now and when I hit the road again I knew I was getting close and started pushing harder, before giving it my all to get across the final field and over the line. 28:24 on the watch and thanks to the official results being compiled live on the day I got confirmation pretty much straight away. After a sit down and some stretches (And a quick text to let people know how I had done) it was back in to the hall for some much needed refreshment.


I hung around for a while watching people finish, my favourite moment being when a man came over the line to the cheering of his young daughter exclaiming "Daddy daddy daddy!" excitedly, as soon as he had stopped and reality caught up with him he turned to her to be greeted with "Daddy I missed you!" - a really touching moment which warmed my sentimental heart.  Once all the short course runners were over the line I headed home, and reflected on the fact I had run that at a 5:10/km pace, something which only a few months ago was unthinkable for me.  I finished 4th of 6 in my class (Male 17 - 39) and 12th out of 36 overall for the 5.5k course which astounded me, and I comfortably got my silver.  I want to do a 5k at under 5:00/km now, but next year if I do this again I will be doing the long course.  Next up for me at present is the Neurocare Head Start 10k at Rother Valley where I want to be under 1:00:00 and am currently planning on trying to pace at around 5:40/km which should see me come in at between 00:56 and 0:57

 

No comments:

Post a Comment