Pages

Wednesday 12 April 2017

Trail Kit

As I mentioned in my report on the Bradfield 5.5k  I have encountered the world of the compulsory kit list now I have discovered trail running.  This actually came about when we entered the White Peak Trail Run when sat in a cafe in Stocksbridge immediately after the Langsett 10k.  As can be seen on the Event Info page the following gear is compulsory:

  •  Running shoes that in the organiser’s opinion are fully suitable for the type of off-road terrain to be encountered (NB no flat soled shoes allowed).
  • Waterproof jacket
  • Windproof leg cover
  • Other waterproof & warm body cover appropriate for the prevailing weather conditions.
  • Sufficient coins for telephone calls or a mobile phone.
Event officials will disqualify anyone who in their opinion does not meet the above compulsory equipment criteria.
OK, running shoes I can do (and have even bought some new shoes since so am doubly OK).  I have a waterproof jacket,  but it isn't a running jacket, and I have no idea what they are getting out with "windproof leg cover". More importantly, I have nothing suitable to carry this in, the extend of my carrying capacity when running being a smartphone sized running belt.

I don't like wearing a waterproof jacket at the best of times, so the idea of sweating inside one while running was especially unpleasant but I thought that if I am going to have to get one I should get one designed to running so I have no excuse come the inevitable wet days.  A little bit of drizzle is fine, but for heavier rain I'll probably want something a bit better - but I didn't want to spend a fortune on it if I won't use it much.  I figured that a cheap pair of waterproof trousers will do as much as anything for windproof leg cover. It's worth bearing in mind at this point that this gear isn't necessarily for running in - when you are trail running in the hills you NEED to be able to keep warm and dry if you run off course and get injured as it could be a long time before someone finds you (on that note: make sure people know where you are going and when you expect to be back, and have a means to contact people. It can very easily become a case of life and death if you are not careful)

So off I headed to Decathlon again to give them yet more of my money, with the inevitable shopping list:

I ended up with the trail bag, the waterproof overtrousers, the Run Rain and the Run Wind.  For the jackets I was going to buy Medium as they seemed to have the best fit, but when I started moving around in them they were a little restrictive so I got the Large instead. So far I have not had need to wear the waterproofs but have worn the windproof jacket before and after running sessions. It packs down really small which is handed, in a pinch you can carry it on your hand using the elasticated strap.

The bag however was my biggest concern as I had never run with a bag before.  I can get the waterproofs and the windproof jacket in the back without having to expand it, even with the water bladder full.  So first chance I got then I loaded it up and went for a run.  With 2 litres of water in it despite having been careful to get the air out it was still quite sloshy and there was a lot of weight to it but drinking from it on the move was not a problem.  The little pockets in the bottom of the shoulder straps are really handy for putting keys and money in, and there is also a nifty phone pocket inside so you don't lose it amongst all the other gear. There are also two very simple but effective chest straps to minimise movement.

Next time I took it out I left the bladder at home and instead ran with 2 drinks bottles in the holsters on the shoulder straps.  This was a lot more comfortable than the full bladder, but was rather noisy.  This was a nice long 12k run incorporating some decent hills to make sure it was a decent test. Come the Bradfield 5.5k and it was time for my first run with a mandatory kit list and I decided to run with 1 litre of water in the bladder to see how that went.  As it happens they relaxed the requirements due to fine weather, but I ran with the bag as planned anyway.  With a half filled drinks bladder I barely noticed the bag was there and even though I only took about 4 mouthfuls I was grateful to have the drink with me.

All in all it seems that yet again Decathlon have managed to come up trumps again with really well priced affordable goods to make trail running accessible to more people.  You can spend a lot on what I don't doubt is quality gear, but certainly for the level I'm running at this is superb kit for the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment